My comfort cooking escapades continue, and yes they are still teeming with nostalgia. And this time around, we’re delving deep into a hearty bowl of soothing egg drop soup.
Growing up between Hyderabad and Karachi, in sun-kissed Pakistan, a bowl of soup brought me surprising amounts of joy. Inspired, I’m sure, by its East Asian counterparts, this one is a cherished Pakistani staple. Egg drop soup was a necessity at family gatherings, and parties. And for the most part, it wasn’t called that.
Often, some kind of East Asian inspired soup, thickened with cornstarch, and finished with an egg, was on the menu. The addition of cornstarch made it anything but low carb, and definitely not keto friendly.
So, my version uses Xantham gum instead. Whether it lives up to any kind of authenticity, I can’t say. What I will say, is that this pot of comfort is a failsafe pick-me-up.
- 1 Chicken Breast (approximately 100 grams)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, Chopped
- 1 tbsp, Xantham Gum
- ½ A Medium Sized Onion, Chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 2 tbsp, Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp, Black Pepper
- 1 tsp, Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp, Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp, Ground Cumin
- 1 Cup Bone Broth (Or Stock)
- 2 tsp, Dried Parsley
- 2 Stock Cubes
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
Nerves That Need Calming
- In a pot, bring 1.7 litres of water (approximately 7 cups) to the boil, add in the bone broth and stock cubes.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, and add it to the pot, followed by the vegetables and garlic.
- Add in all of the seasonings and spices, and let it boil until the chicken and vegetables are completely cooked.
- In a bowl, mix the Xantham gum with half a cup of water, it should form a gelatinous mixture, add this to the soup mixture, and let it boil. At first, there will be air bubbles, just let it boil and these will dissipate.
- Once the bubbles dissolve, drop the egg in and stir it until the mixture becomes cloudy. Serve hot.
Serves six. Calories per serving: 70. Net carbs: 3 grams. Fat 3 grams. Protein: 7 grams.